Perfect Mashed Potatoes
Ready Time: 40min
Prep Time: 20min
Cook Time: 20min
Potato Type: Russet
Prep Method: Boiled
Are you on the lookout for the best recipe for traditional Thanksgiving mashed potatoes? Look no further!
- 1 1/3 lbs. (4 medium) russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 Tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 1/4 to 2/3 cup hot milk or cream
Prep Time: 20min | Cook Time: 20min
- In large saucepan, combine 5 cups water, potatoes and 1 teaspoon of the salt; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork.
- Drain potatoes thoroughly in colander.
- Return to saucepan; heat over medium-low heat 1 to 2 minutes to dry potatoes, stirring occasionally.
- In saucepan, mash potatoes with potato masher or fork, or beat with electric hand mixer until chunky.
- Stir in butter, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 cup of the hot milk. Add additional milk, a little at a time, if necessary, for desired consistency.
- Season to taste with additional salt, if desired.
- Serve immediately.
- Amount of milk needed will vary with type of potatoes used and personal preference.
- Mashed potatoes are best served right away. If made ahead, keep potatoes hot in saucepan or heatproof bowl set over pot with barely simmering water. Cover potatoes loosely.
- Nutritionals are per serving.
For additional ideas, see our How to Make Mashed Potatoes page.
Review This Recipe
Be the first to review this recipe by clicking the button below